|Dear Rec families, employees, friends, and community:|
First, we want to send you all our best wishes for your continued health and safety. We know how hard you are all working to stay home and stay safe and we appreciate the extra challenges so many of you (and us!) are facing as we manage distance learning for our Rec kids.
As many of you know, the Chagrin Valley Recreation Center is 100% funded by annual membership. Our operations, repairs, and updates are managed by a year-round volunteer board and one part-time director. We receive no tax funds and no financial support from the school other than a very favorable lease on our space. We are responsible for the annual upkeep of three pools, our blacktop space, and the Rec building. In a typical season, our volunteers and staff begin preparing the pools and grounds in mid-April. This process includes physically raking leaves and debris from the pools, patching up and painting the pools, cleaning up the grounds, filling and heating the pools, and deep cleaning the building. This work takes us about 4 weeks and costs about $8,000 in supplies and repairs.
This year, we are watching along with all of you to see what things mightlook like after May 1 and for the summer to determine when/if we will are in a position to invest this time and money to open the pool. We don’t know what this summer will look like for us but we will do our best to ensure that, if we are able, we are open and provide our community with the joy and connection we all count on from our Rec. We know many of you count on us for camps, lessons, free swim, swim team, and a chance to be with other families during the summer months. Our Rec Executive Council has been hard at work on several scenarios for the 2020 summer season ranging from full pool opening to a delayed open to full closure.
We are also carefully considering what a summer camp model might look like as many families depend on us for summer camp fun and care while parents are working. We eagerly await Governor DeWine and Dr. Acton’splans for summer social distancing and anticipate a special set of guidelines for summer camps and programs.
For now, our guiding questions are:
1. How can we operate a summer program that ensures the safety of Rec members, guests, and our staff as its number one priority?
2. How do we manage our startup and operating costs to minimize 2020 expenses yet allow for some version of summer pool fun for our dedicated members?
3. How do we ensure fiscal responsibility so that we may remain solvent this year with the expectation (and hope) that we will be able to open for a full season in 2021?
So, what next?
- We will continue to minimize all non-essential pre-season preparation – from major pool repairs to our volunteer cleanup days – until further notice.
- We will suspend all membership enrollments. When we know whether we are able to open for the season (full or partial) we will be in immediate contact to begin registration.
- We will continue to provide updates to our members via email blasts and our Facebook page
- We will remain in touch with our seasonal staff (guards, camp counselors, maintenance crew, and snack bar crew) – we are especially sensitive to how many of our young community members count on the Rec for summer income.
- We will reduce our expenses as much as possible – the Rec has no endowment and only a very small cash reserve which we use to open each year.
- Our Rec office is to remain closed until further notice. The best way to communicate with us is to email email@example.com or call us at 858-518-7649. (Email will likely elicit the fastest response.)
The Rec is, truly, the heart of summer for so many of us. We are 100% committed to ensuring that – no matter what this summer does or doesn’t look like – the Rec remains in our community for another 78 years and beyond. To that end, if you are a Rec fan and are inclined to make a donation to help us through this challenging time please visit our website at chagrinrec.com and click on DONATE or contact board chair Caroline Ford at 216-970-9920.
We hope to be in touch again soon and thank you for your ongoing support for the Rec.
Stay safe and well,
The Executive Council of the Chagrin Valley Recreation Center